If you are just getting your head around social media and trying to get oriented, you can learn the basics from the series of posts on social media fundamentals.
Also included here are the best blog posts about using social media that can enhance your overall knowledge and use of these communications tools.
Social Media Fundamentals
I wrote an article for the International Association of Business Communicators’ CW Bulletin about the ten fundamentals of social media every charity and nonprofit should know. Read that post to get an overview of the basics. Below are posts where I expanded upon each fundamental.
- Your personal experience with social media informs your professional use
- Be genuine
- Be social. Build relationships.
- Social media is about community
- Think of social media as a behaviour
- There is a difference between having an account and using it
- There are no quick wins in social media. It’s all about the long game.
- Where do you find the time?
- Choose which social media fits best with you and your organization
- Add value. Share content that is interesting or useful.
- Finale: How your personal use informs your professional use & How to find time for social media
Enhancing your knowledge and use of social media
Building relationships with limited time for social media
- Be generous: Share. Respond. Comment.
- Different social circles. Different social media.
- Avoid one size fits all solutions